9.9 2stroke question

Tips Up

I just bought a 1986 9.9 Evenrude. It looks like brand new. Never been in salt water. It starts up and runs great. Runs at 100:1

The past owner used it 3 weekends per year for the 5 years he had it and had bought it off an old timer who took great care of it.

After test running it on the hose for a bit there is a grey sludge that comes out the exhaust port in the center of the prop.
Any ideas what this could be?

The guy I bought it from ran it about 80:1 as he felt "safer" doing this. It had not been used since June and is stored indoors.

I am thinking it is just unburnt oil? Maybe from running too rich and maybe from test running it from a tank that had been sitting for a while?

Thanks.

Tips

Thanks for the link. For some reason I can only get part of the article to show and did not see anything relating to the problem. I will try again in a bit.
Is this water oil mix coming out normal? OK?

Thanks

Tips

I had an old 2 banger that did the same thing. It was unburnt oil mixed with water. As far as I know they guy I sold the engine to still uses it regularly which means the engine is on its 20th year...

Thanks again for the feedback Striker. Finally got the rest of the page to download and it seems normal and not a concern.
I think I scored a great motor at a great price.

It will do me until I find the 6-8 horse that I really want.

Tips

That article says that the 100 to 1 ratio for that motor has been changed to 50 to 1. Too many motors seized up at 100 to 1 ratios.

Had an early 90's evinrude 9.9 same thing with the sludge, I also ran a little more oil then they recommended.Sold it to my buddy still going strong.DAN

Tips Up

If your not going to use this at higher RPM then 100-1 is Ok, But at higher RPM the motor is starved for oil. I would suggest using 50-1. I learned the hard way, by following the manufacturers directions. Evinrude I believe put some literature out, but I can't find it.

Esora

The oil sludge is normal as the exhaust is routed though the prop on the 80's evinrudes. I flush mine in a garbage can after running it in the chuck and it is there every time. Loved thos 76-90 johnny/rudes. You had to try really hard to kill them. 50:1 is the propper ratio.

Back