5" live image spoon how to...

Barrel swivel for hootchies, bead chain for teaser heads and spoons, and Sampo swivels on all flashers, front and back. I think that line twist is really hard on mono, so I protect my running line with good hardware. Oh, and I rinse all my gear in fresh water as soon as it comes out of the chuck. A quick rinse from a 4L jug of fresh water over a 5 gallon bucket, then everything goes into the bucket to soak. I've got bead chain swivels that have lasted 4 seasons now.

When you say line do you mean leader? or main line too? Were you using a flasher? Your connection to the flasher might not be spinning. Might be bunged up with sea goo. Mainline to ball bearing swivel to quick connect to swivel on spoon or flasher. If it's just your leader twisting, your spoon is spinning and not wobbling. The hook is too small/light for the speed you used or you need to slow down.

I have never tried this but could you take a swivel that had some corrosion/salt deposits and put it in CLR or Tarn-X? Wonder if that would rejuvenate them...

Picked up a tip somewhere regarding soaking old gear in straight vinegar. Tried it with some old commercial tackle ie snaps,quickchanges,swivels and spoons, and was amazed at the results.
Put a lot of it back into action.

I have never tried this but could you take a swivel that had some corrosion/salt deposits and put it in CLR or Tarn-X? Wonder if that would rejuvenate them...
Corrosion X is what I used to use but I ran out of it and it's Very Expensive to buy in Canada now.

Corrosion X is what I used to use but I ran out of it and it's Very Expensive to buy in Canada now.
I actually have some but forgot about it. I use the Corrosion X HD for my boat trailer. Never thought about the regular for my gear...bought it down east from Fishntech. Real nice guy in Quebec.

Checked all my gear yesterday before i went out unbelievable a lot of the swivels weren't butter smooth like new and that's a fresh water rinse every time
no wonder i'm bending my bait more for a good spin , always thought a good fresh water rinse and it's all good not the case . vinegar bath and oil tonight .

throw old swivels away! you can't tell how much corrosion and electrolysis is inside, and when it will break! We lost a big fish up at Porteau because of using an old commercial plug swivel. spoons are worth restoring, but realize that vinegar is acid so don't keep it in the solution any longer than needed. Perhaps neutralize with baking soda afterwards. If the corrosion is ruining the finish, you could paint them, using under water primer, white marine enamel, then your fav spray paints.

Best day of catching (4 over 30) was with a large sampo/McMahon clipped right to the spoon -- no leader. I have tested the action on many spoons to see how they work at different speeds & never saw a spoon rotate; as many spoons have no swivel on front but only a ring I think they are intended to not need a swivel, although I usually use one. A light limp leader is prone to twist - I use Flouro because it is stiff.

Sounds like your selection of terminal gear is in doubt; buy good stuff & save the crap for Bullheads & Flounders.

Back