24Ft Skagit

Gibson19

I am looking for a 27 ft Skagit.
However it is tough to find.
Question is, is there enough storage and fishing space on a 24ft with a outboard. There seems to be more of these.

I am looking for a 27 ft Skagit.
However it is tough to find.
Question is, is there enough storage and fishing space on a 24ft with a outboard. There seems to be more of these.
Lots of storage on a 24 Standard (no enclosed head) as long as it’s outboard powered. An inboard gobbles up lots of real estate .

Warning on the 27 Orca: the forepeak is almost exactly the same size as a 24. If you want to boat camp, in my opinion there is insufficient mattress length in either the 24 or the 27 to comfortably sleep an adult unless your on the short side....I’m average height and had to build a platform to support my legs and feet that stuck out well past the mattress perimeter

We have done numerous trips through out the gulf island on our Skagit Orca 24 XLC, and some trips were 6 days. I’m 6’ 2”, 250lb and there was lots of room for the both of us and a 65lb dog. With table folded down we would place the seating pads down and then a 4” thick foam and there was lots of room for me. My wife and the dog fit into the cuddy no problem. Our boat had a good size Bimini on the back deck which gave us a little more dry space.

The only major issue we ever had was when it was raining hard, there is not enough space for us in the cabin after a day or two. Also the washroom was a little to small for big people.

I think the cabin on the 27 and 24 XLC are the same size and the difference in length is in the back deck space.

Over all the boat was excellent for getting away on. Wallace stove, shore power, BBQ, heat, fresh water, holding tank and travels well at 30 MPH

Attachments

• 2012 Skagit Orca Xlc.jpg
    2012 Skagit Orca Xlc.jpg
    347.6 KB · Views: 125
  • 2012 Skagit Orca.jpg
    2012 Skagit Orca.jpg
    437.4 KB · Views: 124
We have done numerous trips through out the gulf island on our Skagit Orca 24 XLC, and some trips were 6 days. I’m 6’ 2”, 250lb and there was lots of room for the both of us and a 65lb dog. With table folded down we would place the seating pads down and then a 4” thick foam and there was lots of room for me. My wife and the dog fit into the cuddy no problem. Our boat had a good size Bimini on the back deck which gave us a little more dry space.

The only major issue we ever had was when it was raining hard, there is not enough space for us in the cabin after a day or two. Also the washroom was a little to small for big people.

I think the cabin on the 27 and 24 XLC are the same size and the difference in length is in the back deck space.

Over all the boat was excellent for getting away on. Wallace stove, shore power, BBQ, heat, fresh water, holding tank and travels well at 30 MPH
Hello Doug . Thanks for the reply. I have a couple questions for you. How many hp was the outboard. With the bimini sticking out a bit, did it interfere with reeling and netting fish?
Joe

I purchased it new with a 250 and then up graded a few years later to a 300hp. 300hp was faster, better out of the hole and better on fuel.
Never had a problem with the bimini top and landing a fish. it was great for getting out of the sun or rain. The boat was used as a charter fishing boat for salmon and halibut.
D&D fishing charters out of Sooke..

danddfishingcharters.com

Skagit Orca 24 xlc boats are global ISO Registered boats. You just submit the ISO registration to Transport Canada and it's approved for chartering. Strange thing is the ISO was done in Germany. I still have the copy I provided to TC.

That's a great looking boat. I always personally liked those boats.

I had my 24xlc Orca for 17 years and like Doug I eventually went to a 300 hp which is the right size. I fished all the west coast for 17 years with a total of 3 guys-I had an up-down bunk arrangement so two guys could sleep in the bow section. Great boat and I imagine it still is today. Hope you find one. I also guided it for 2 years-amazingly strong boats with no problems.

Thanks Doug. I thought the 300 would be the outboard for sure. Looking for a Skagit, Seasport, Osprey or comparable aluminum if you hear of any. Seems like they may be dropping slightly in price.

Back