22Ft double eagle boat fuel economy?

Hey i'm new to the forum and bought a used 1981 double eagle 22ft flybridge last spring. I have been wondering what the average fuel economy for a 22ft double eagle is and what the most fuel efficient cruising RPM is. Thanks in advance.

The boat has a 5.7litre 260hp volvo penta v8 inboard with a volvo 280 outdrive leg.

The fuel economy is that bad?...lol.

Yeah, I have noticed that there is an aftermarket gas tank in the boat that holds about 250 litres. The boat will eat a 1/4 tank of fuel in about 30km at 3600RPM RPM acorrding to the gas gage. I can't really tell how much fuel is really being burnt though because the gas tank is oddly shaped. My main reason for asking is because I want fish at some offshore locations such as Swiftsure Bank and am wondering if I could safely make it there and back to Port Renfrew without running out of fuel.

Fuel flow meter is the best way to know that. Mine is accurate to a liter with 300 liters of usage. Next best is to log your hours and usage to get a better idea of what you are burning. It should be around 50 liters an hour or so (best guess) depending on load ect.

I have an IO Double Eagle V6 and I burn about 1/8 of a 40 gal gas tank during half a day off logan and 1/2 day at Swiftsure. Last summer I trailered it out, went to Swiftsure 2 times and fished off the creeks hard for 4 days and used about 20 gallons First time we went put we took extra gas but not afterwards

Hey thanks again everyone for the helpful comments and suggestions. BTW, does anyone know a good Canadian online store that sells good quality fuel flow gauges?

the more cid you have= the more fuel you will burn=no brainer!
Not necessarily, sometimes more cid/hp can make for a more efficient ride
for e.g. a 4.3l 190hp in a 24' boat is working hard to keep that boat on plane, however a 5.7l 270hp in the same boat works alot less to
keep it on plane , less load=less fuel burn
holds true most of the time, but not always the case esp in high perf applications

You may have to play around with props a bit. I had an old 20' Sangster w/a V8 4V (302) that got pretty good 'mileage' Usually cruised around 3200+. Never redlined it. Ran out of Ukee and never put more than a $100/day in it. Had different props from 15 to 25 and the best for cruising was with the 25.
gl with your rig.

Back