225 optimax

staying alive

anyone own a newer 225 optimax -------are they a reliable motor ---do you like them --- love the 2-stroke sound of my Blackmax but may be time to re-power soon

anyone own a newer 225 optimax -------are they a reliable motor ---do you like them --- love the 2-stroke sound of my Blackmax but may be time to re-power soon

great motors , I have a 2001 on my 24' sport boat and I have used newer models for work. Like all motors they have their quirks , but they are solid and powerful. Any downside I would say is how noisy they are compared to other modern 2 strokes , plugs and oil are expensive. They are pretty simple to work on yourself though.

Hope that helps.

beemer

Great motors,I have a 02 225hp on my 22 Whaler.Lots of gettyup and go! Just use high quality spark plugs[change them religiously every year]and Always use Opti DFI oil or..............I have switched to the AMSOIL full synthetic HP injector DFI oil which is cheaper and smells better when it burns too!!Don't ever use crappy oil in them if you want a long lasting motor.The oiling varies between 300 to 1 to 50 to 1 at diff. throttle openings.AND....Always dump some SEAFOAM gas treatment at every fill-up,you must keep those carbon deposites out of the cylinders and injectors to keep those motors from leaning out with a bad injector spray pattern!!!!!!You will get at LEAST 1200 hours or more out of her if you do no problem.You are right...those motors sound good too,not like some of those others.

One more thing.Set up an account with AMSOIL in Edmonton .Prices are OK and shipping is cheap.I buy 3 boxes of 3 3.784 litre jugs at a time and I'm good for the year.Happy new year!

Good anchors...Stay away

Typical Mercury hater:rolleyes:.

I have been on a couple of boats with them and they seem like great motors. I know a fella that has been using them professionally for quite a few years. No shortage of them around. They seem to be pretty popular around the world.

Last edited by a moderator:
talking about brand prefference never fails to get people worked up. I hope they are a good motor and they appear to be slightly cheaper --plus built in North America---I like that

What are you re-powering? What is your reason for sticking with 2 stroke? Are you going to buy new or used? I also want to re-power and I'm curious of others reasons for different makes. I think I will let price make the difference.

Take Care

My first boat had a Merc. :D
My second boat had a Merc. :D
and
My current boat has a MERC. :D

Had a 225opti on a 20ft aluminum boat. Hole shot was great, lotsa power, lotsa speed fairly economical.

If you do a search on the net they used to have some compressor-injector problems around the year 2001 and prior if I remember well. Spark plugs needed to be replaced every year or so, kept using oil from mercury, changed leg oil every year and had no grief from it other than compressor belt wearing too quick and starting to squeal in the morning when engine was cold.

great motors , I have a 2001 on my 24' sport boat and I have used newer models for work. Like all motors they have their quirks , but they are solid and powerful. Any downside I would say is how noisy they are compared to other modern 2 strokes , plugs and oil are expensive. They are pretty simple to work on yourself though.

Hope that helps.

beemer
Great engines for the money.....lots of power easy and economical to repair.....beemer is being far too modest he has put thousands of hours on these motors both commercially and recreationally.....only drawbacks I've found is that they are noisy and smelly at low rpm so don't plan on trolling with one.....

new motor

I currently have a 1994 225hp Blackmax-----it is getting old and has some stalling issues at low speed ---if I can't resolve then I am going to have to consider new power ---so i figured I would start the search as it will take a long time to sift through everyones opinions here and on different forums.
I am trying to talk myself into staying with 2 stroke ---love the torque----- but will consider all brands ---price ---warranty ---financing --- so many things to consider

Staying alive have you tried running merc quickkleen thru your engine, I always run it on my 225 opti and the stuff works. My neighbor uses it on his carbed yammi and it has never ran so well till he started using it

no i haven't ----its in at my wrench trying to solve stalling-----but when I get it back I will try it out ---then I will try the quick clean--thanks for the tip

no i haven't ----its in at my wrench trying to solve stalling-----but when I get it back I will try it out ---then I will try the quick clean--thanks for the tip

I'm not a big believer in additives. I don't use them in my cars,truck or quads.The only exception I make is to use Quickkleen in my Optimax. Money well spent.
Dave

Blackmax

Looks like I am committed now to keep the old motor (700 hrs) for a couple more years ----- I am into it now for 3gs in repairs--my merc mechanic who I trust says I should get a couple more years out of it easy , need to run it that long to justify spending that much money.
Fixing motors sucks its hard to know when to call it quits --- my own fault though for not getting it checked out better when I bought last year out of seattle I learnt a lesson an expensive one but still a lesson
cant wait to take her for a burn around Bowen

I should've said "not breaking the bank"... :D
The boat I had before the 225 had a 150 and to go a certain distance: say to Jordan river from Sooke, the 225 was not much more than the 150.

Perception I guess

What did you have to compare it to? Just curious. I have found that on the boat's I have been on with them that they are compartive with the 4 strokes for fuel economy.

Merc For Real

I want at least 2500hrs out of my motors not 400 to a 1000. This is the first I have read about good things on Mercs. Been there done that. You can find lots of info on the net on any motor spend a hour it will help you make a wise choice. good luck

Back