208 GW adventure Scotty Down rigger rig up

Looking to help my Dad mount a set of 1106 Scotty DRs anyone have ny shots as to how they did it?

I haven't been able to get over to the boat to see it for myself so I am trying to prepare for when I do.

Richard

Here is a cropped photo of the port side rigger mounted on my GW 228 . The gunnel top width of a GW 208 I think is the same width as the 228 . When you place the square bottom mounting plate in position on gunnel top make sure the mounting holes in the plate are lined up such that the narrower distance between holes is sitting across width of gunnel top. The distance between the holes is not the same. Positioned this way will provide narrower set bolts so that the bolt holes are not too close to edge of gunnel top and will go through wood in gunnel top. It will also allow more room in the area underneath for support backing and/or larger washers. Seal bolt holes with sikaflex or one of the 3M marine sealants to protect wood in gunnel top.

Placement should be far enough away from the stock GW flush mount rod holders so you could use them to hold rods when downrigger is in place ( its nice to have those available even if its just a temporary place to put a rod )

Electrical plug mounting I have under the gunnel top and under riggers so riggers can be removed easily but the plug is out of way and protected.

IMG_4638rigger.jpg

Personally, I have placed mine right between in the middle of the gunnel mounted rod holders. Logic, I like to be able to get behind the rigger to lower gear. I've got a 228G same as Peahead......

Personally, I have placed mine right between in the middle of the gunnel mounted rod holders. Logic, I like to be able to get behind the rigger to lower gear. I've got a 228G same as Peahead......
I'd rather them forward between the rod holders to. I can't stand it when people mount the riggers to far back. Campion Boats are the worst making a place for you to mount them in a dumb spot. Having to knell on the back seat to get at your gear is a pain in the butt.

I actually removed my rear flushmount on my 232 and positioned my rigger there.
on the 232 it was the perfect position for me I still have plenty of access behind the rigger for setting and lots of room
with no rigger in the way for netting over the side, and if currents are ripping I can extend out and to the stern and keep the cables away from the props.
and still have room for the BBQ in the front flush mount if needed at same time
not a great pic but you get the idea

IMG_1565.jpg

Position of riggers I suppose has some person preference and depends on boat as well. The 208 GW being questioned here does have a shorter cockpit so position may work slightly different than a 228. I personally don't need to position myself aft of a rigger to set and lower gear so have no problem doing it from either side. As long as the rigger can be operated standing at it without leaning past any obstruction on the boat to get to it ! ( for example leaning over a stern seat or engine well) I like riggers fairly aft in the cockpit toward the stern.

A few reasons: - current, wind and on turns during times of large blow back (especially fishing deep), it is less likely the rigger line/cable will wind up under the stern and touch hull/pod structure or props/legs. Also, fishing solo and riggers mounted closer to stern allows me a huge amount of cockpit and gunnel top on port or starboard of which to land a fish solo. There are no riggers mid cockpit as an obstacle. Also less need then to swivel riggers fwd (or backward) because I already have a big open area on port and starboard in which to do the landing. Solo or not I prefer to play fish with as little landing prep needed as possible. A Clear landing area is safer and more chance of landing fish successfully plus much easier releasing a fish when your work area/gunnel is clear.

Last reason is while hangin out at the dock drinkin a beer or two with friends/family, the gunnel top in the cockpit aft of helm is a favourite sitting spot so I don't want riggers in the way !!!! lol

Back