2023 Tuna Adventures

Status
Not open for further replies.
We saw a
Congratulations Trophy wife!! Looks like you had some high grade long fins for sure.
Not sure how to post without hitting the reply button.
Just wanted to share the last weeks action up in WH.
We had a shot sept 9th as water was dreamy. Off the dock at 5 am, All smiles added a flir to his 285 conquest, and offered to lead the pack. After a two hour run out to the shark fin ( 30 nm ) we saw a spike in water temp from 57 to 60 degrees in 1.5 miles. All smiles stopped and set gear. We carried on another 3 nm till we hit 62, and deployed.
We had our first 3 peices of gear out and heard “Hook Up” ….. All Smiles was on!
We kept setting our gear, 11 lines. Trolled for 15 min, and reels steered screening! Single, double, triple!! The crew woke up quickly 😂!
The bite was fast and furious in the first couple hours, then died off to the search. We all scratched away and got a lot of singles with perfect tails, so non schooling fish.
The day ended up in the high teens, low 20’s between all us boats. I will say the size was decent, largest was 25lb 12oz.
We had 2 blow days after that, then made a run again sept 13th. Off the dock again 5am, All smiles led once again with his FLIR , great tool for dark runs. On the grounds by 6:30 am, we had 4 lines out of 13 down and HOOK UP! Quick out of the gate, however didn’t last long. We had 4 in the slush by 8am and then the lul. Scratched away get the next couple hours to add another 2!
Then I spot a fin of a shark as we are trolling at 6.5 to 7.3 km, and 2 min later the port outrigger line goes off!! My crew on deck starts yelling favor me, we are going to get spooled! I turn the boat, crossing all lines 🤦‍♂️ and started chasing this thing! Crazy to say the least!! We are chasing a shark, while all I hear from our buddy boats is “ hook up” and we are chasing a large shark. We went 1.45 hours and 2.5 nm fighting this thing before finally getting a visual of it. After googling salmon sharks, and Mako sharks, it was definitely a mako! Probably 10 to 12 feet long, and 30 inches wide. We had him 10 feet under the boat, foul hooked in the pectoral fin? He rolled, turned, and left..,, snapped the rod, and broke the line. What an experience to say the least! Once we were a half hour in on the battle, we were committed. However we missed out on the tuna bite as our buddy boats hooked into 15 to 18 tuna each while we chased that beast for 2.5 NM
Was a fantastic tuna season once again out of WH early September, 30 NM off the light! Can’t wait for the 2024 tuna adventures!!!
We saw a mako at the haida ridge early august ! Unmistakable

I caught a baby Mako last week down in San Diego....super cool looking and unmistakable. It was safely released by the crew.

Bluefin fishing was fantastic in the 30-low 50lb range and also got into a few yellowfin bites in the 25-35lb range. Good times on 25-30lb line and lighter gear.

I was fishing anywhere from 100 miles to 25 miles out. I did a 2.5 day, 3.5 day and a full day trip.
we’re you on a larger “ puker” style ship? i’ve been watching tons of video online and despite the chaos of dealing with others lines, it looks like fun!

edit: never mind: i misunderstood your times you quoted

we’re you on a larger “ puker” style ship? i’ve been watching tons of video online and despite the chaos of dealing with others lines, it looks like fun!

edit: never mind: i misunderstood your times you quoted
I was on 80 to 85 ft boats. Yes you get in tangles and lots of over, under, around but it's a pretty fun little dance. I've been going down since 2018 and always do at least 2 boats.

Here’s a little warm up video from some Washington action we had in October.

Took 2 tunagins from Alaska and 2 mono guys for some jigging action. No live bait available. Troll and convert. Watching the video helps to show what we need to improve on. I saw plenty of things to address.
I have front and rear dash cameras (motorcycle setup) that are hardwired to my battery switch. Able to get gobs and gobs of video. I might move the front camera to the back to get better coverage of 90% of the action. Having the full walkaround sure makes following fish around very easy. So there is some action up there that I catch.

Here’s a little warm up video from some Washington action we had in October.

Took 2 tunagins from Alaska and 2 mono guys for some jigging action. No live bait available. Troll and convert. Watching the video helps to show what we need to improve on. I saw plenty of things to address.
I have front and rear dash cameras (motorcycle setup) that are hardwired to my battery switch. Able to get gobs and gobs of video. I might move the front camera to the back to get better coverage of 90% of the action. Having the full walkaround sure makes following fish around very easy. So there is some action up there that I catch.
Looking forward to watching this! Still have your walk around video in the cue as I harass my editor from the beach.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back