Status
Not open for further replies.
fished the bay yesterday ,around church and into whirl bay few shakers and thats it. Started to jig and got into the sablefish around 12-15in. Bunch whales around the Bay

Fished Pedder Bay area yesterday for a few hours. One clipped to the boat that was just under and that was the only hit for 4 hours. 12 legal crab in the pots after an overnight soak. Kept the best 8 and sent the rest back for another day or another fisher.

Fished between Creke and Aldridge for a few hours today - was better than last week but still nothing big enough to keep, got 3 that were just under size and one of those even managed to pop the clip. Picked up one Alaskan black cod there too. Handling anchovies in cold cold brine made it difficult to rig other gear as fingers stopped working at some point. Oh well, maybe next week will be better

Fished between Creke and Aldridge for a few hours today - was better than last week but still nothing big enough to keep, got 3 that were just under size and one of those even managed to pop the clip. Picked up one Alaskan black cod there too. Handling anchovies in cold cold brine made it difficult to rig other gear as fingers stopped working at some point. Oh well, maybe next week will be better
I use an NFL QB muff with an electric hand warmer in it after I dry my hands with a towel when it gets cold. Easy to take my hands out on a bite but keeps them from seizing up in the cold.

Launched from Pedder Friday @ 10:00, no other trailers in the lot. Tried to bottom fish Whirl for feeders but gave up due to excess of logs, kelp and other crap from recent rains. Went West to the Head got one feeder around 55 cm at 110 feet and a clipped 45 cm Coho at 65. The Spring took a watermelon spoon and the Coho an AP greenish needlefish. Other than that it was shakers. Back to Pedder by 1400 and only one other trailer in the lot. Low turnout for a gorgeous day. Saw maybe 10 other boats all day.

Anyone been fishing whirl / church ?

The boat hasn’t left the driveway for a while and was thinking of getting out on Sunday with the kids since it looks like low winds.

I was also thinking maybe head to Sidney and do a stop to check out Sidney island if the reports where not great for Whirl.

A Dec 31st afternoon photo from our Gordon's Beach cabin. Doesn't get much better. To bad I had no time to drop a line.

Attachments

• gordonssun.jpg
    gordonssun.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:
Today was also phenomenal weather. Picked up Covid on a flight before Xmas and so was forced to fish solo. I counted 15 boats off Sooke Harbour.

Very slow fishing for me. Tried deeper (130ft) / shallower (80ft), faster / slower and big spoons / small spoons but only managed a few shakers and one near legal for 5hrs .

I didn't mark much for bait and very few fish. Hardly any birds but decent number of harbour porpoises around. Only saw 3 nets out but hopefully a few boats found a lot more fish than I did.

PXL_20231231_192650847.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back