Status
Not open for further replies.
Post your 2022 fishing reports here!
Well hello Gentlemen, I’d like to thank all for creating and participating in this forum. A lot of great info here. I’m posting for the first time and as most Greenhorns, I have lots of questions.
A little about me, I grew up a kid in the 80’s fishing with my family on summer getaways to the island. Poett Nook, China creek, Port McNeill were some of our go to spots, all in a 12’ Mirrocraft with an Evinrude 9.9, hand crank downrigger on one side and deep six on the other. Created a lot of great memories for me and a love for the ocean.
A wife and 2 kids of my own now, I’m passing on my passion for ocean fishing to them. Outfitted with a 22’ boat ( a little more room then the Mirro) I tackled Nootka sound last summer and used info on this site to help me find my way. 2 of the six days there we made it to the outside Beano creek Lighthouse etc. but the other 4 days the winds were too much for the family. That’s when we fished places like Camel rock, beer can , hoiss Pt. Etc. So this year I thought we’d give Tofino a try at the Saltwater classic. We’re going to be there July 8-15. I’ve been reading archive reports on Wilf, Portland, Florencia but I’m wondering if there’s more sheltered Coho/Chinook spots or even lingcod spots I can go if the weather isn’t cooperating but still be able to get the kiddos into some action. Are Blunden/Bartlett islands big enough to find calmer water ? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Cheers

So this year I thought we’d give Tofino a try at the Saltwater classic. We’re going to be there July 8-15. I’ve been reading archive reports on Wilf, Portland, Florencia but I’m wondering if there’s more sheltered Coho/Chinook spots or even lingcod spots I can go if the weather isn’t cooperating but still be able to get the kiddos into some action. Are Blunden/Bartlett islands big enough to find calmer water ? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Cheers

Portland will be a no go as retention offshore doesn't start until the 15th so if you want to retain salmon you have to fish the inshore waters. The kids may find jigging for hali a bit boring but you can definitely pick up hali on the troll out there.

Anywhere from the south side of Lennard Island up to Wilf will be good. We did really well last year when fishing just to the south of Lennard but be wary of the swell in there as you have to be on top of your game.

You can also try Clifford Point and the bay in there which is on the back side of Flores.....generally pretty calm. There is also up by Cleland Island.

1656609415269.png

If interested in Coho a few years back we trolled back and forth through BS Pass which is the narrow pass by Bartlett Island and had an insane afternoon.....just fish after fish after fish. If they are in it would be a blast for the kids.

It's a bit of a run for lings n' things but we had a trip a while back that was white meat focused and we ran around Flores and fished the reefs out from the Hot Springs just drifting across them and we came home with all the white meat we were allowed with respect to lings and rockies. We had fish hooked up constantly and would be good for the kids.

Pretty much anywhere on the flats you can pick up hali and outside of Cleland can be good or out off Lennard......all depends how much the kids can handle.

Pippen, this intel is a world of help, exactly what I needed. The kids don’t like 20 knot winds with 2 meter seas, which I’m sure will be the case for at least a couple of the days when we’re there. Now I have a place I can take them that’s relatively sheltered. I be sure to post here how I make out with the trip.
Thanks again

Pippen, this intel is a world of help, exactly what I needed. The kids don’t like 20 knot winds with 2 meter seas, which I’m sure will be the case for at least a couple of the days when we’re there. Now I have a place I can take them that’s relatively sheltered. I be sure to post here how I make out with the trip.
Thanks again

Even if not much wind the swell can still bump you around in and around Wilf and that area.

Clifford will be nice and calm for you and BS Pass should be good too with respect to swell as your well inside the surf line. At BS if you don't get into a coho or two in the first number of passes they may not be in but it should be good timing You can also try the bay around the southeast side of Vargas or the flats on the northeast side. We fished these areas during the Coho derby put on by Tofino Resort and Marina a couple of years back and picked up some bonus springs in there but it was September.

We had a friend's kid out a few years back who was bored with slow salmon fishing and we just found some pinnacles close to Tofino and he had a blast catching Rockies and I turned him into a fan of ceviche that evening.

Again....a long commute but we had tubs of lings n' things at those reefs outside of Hot Springs a month or so ago....constant action.

Have fun!!!

Last edited:
I've always looked for calm waters when taking family out of Tofino.
During 2020 Clifford Pt. was out of bounds according to the folks in Ahousat (covid and flexing muscle to protect backyard). I hope that's changed.
Clifford is my wife's favourite. Sometimes there are fish on the shorleine as you approach, on the shallows across from the shoreline, near the point and far out, and all around it.
I've also got a few 20+lb chinooks at Kutcous Is. and the inside edges of the rocks leading out to Wilf and one halibut in 40 feet there. Also rockfish and cabezons in the kelpy shallows in the little pass between Moser and Wilf. You'll see whale boats and guides going through there. All usually protected spots.
Trolling outside the lighthouse can be good fishing and it's so close that you can make a few passes and get back inside if the crew turn green. The rocks west of the lighthouse have bottom critters too.

Hi Tubber, much appreciated, I was a little apprehensive about fishing somewhere new with “big water” all around, but armed with a bit of local knowledge now it looks like I’ll be able to make the best out of most weather situations.
One thing I’ve wanted to try but haven’t yet is taking my 8 weight fly Rod and buck tailing it out the back while trolling with the downriggers out. I’d take my Scotty fly Rod holder out of the cartopper and mount it somewhere in the middle of the transom.
I guess trolling for Chinook at 2.5 mph might be a little slow for bucktailing coho, but the thought of a 8lb salmon on a fly Rod with no flasher sounds amazing to me.

I guess trolling for Chinook at 2.5 mph might be a little slow for bucktailing coho,
A couple tiny spinner blades in front of the fly really helps.

Bucktail-with-Spinner-Blades.jpg

Those are some good looking attention grabbing lures. I’ll be sure to try one.
Full floating line on the surface, or should I put a sink tip on and get it just under the churning water. 10’ leader?

We have a place booked for August 9-13 and turns out Tofino resort and Marina has no moorage available. Is there any other option other than the small vessel harbour that doesn't take bookings? I don't need power or water, and can even pull my boat out if I need to if I can find somewhere to park the trailer and boat. Any tips would be appreciated. Never fished out of Tofino before.

Thanks
Ryan

We have a place booked for August 9-13 and turns out Tofino resort and Marina has no moorage available. Is there any other option other than the small vessel harbour that doesn't take bookings? I don't need power or water, and can even pull my boat out if I need to if I can find somewhere to park the trailer and boat. Any tips would be appreciated. Never fished out of Tofino before.

Thanks
Ryan
Nope, the government dock is your only option for mooring if TRM is full. They also have parking for boat trailers right beside the road if you're trailering and you're a guest there

Hi Tubber, much appreciated, I was a little apprehensive about fishing somewhere new with “big water” all around, but armed with a bit of local knowledge now it looks like I’ll be able to make the best out of most weather situations.
One thing I’ve wanted to try but haven’t yet is taking my 8 weight fly Rod and buck tailing it out the back while trolling with the downriggers out. I’d take my Scotty fly Rod holder out of the cartopper and mount it somewhere in the middle of the transom.
I guess trolling for Chinook at 2.5 mph might be a little slow for bucktailing coho, but the thought of a 8lb salmon on a fly Rod with no flasher sounds amazing to me.
When the coho are around in numbers they smash anything, some days it’s hard to get gear down, coho take it on the surface, like anything spoons , plugs you name it they smash it,

Any recent Tofino reports? Heading there on Sunday for the week. I know this report section is usually pretty quiet but it would be good to get some updates!

Any recent Tofino reports? Heading there on Sunday for the week. I know this report section is usually pretty quiet but it would be good to get some updates!
Was there middle of July for a week, Clifford, Catface, were great for Coho, got to try Bucktailing for the first time, what a blast. Chinook we’re at Wilf, Portland, Gowlland.

Was there middle of July for a week, Clifford, Catface, were great for Coho, got to try Bucktailing for the first time, what a blast. Chinook we’re at Wilf, Portland, Gowlland.
That's good to hear. That is how I started fishing Tofino back in early 2000's. Used to be really amazing bucktailing and then it died off in recent years.

My retired fishing contact in Tofino messaged me this afternoon saying a breaker must have blew because it was Absolutely LIGHTS out today!!!!!!!!!!!! Looks like the Robertson Creek fish have arrived so hold on! Load up on chovies and enjoy Hawgust.

BBB
Thanks that's great news!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back