2022 Port McNeill, Telegragh Cove Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
All good points and true. South end of Malcolm, the thing to watch for is big currents and standing waves at times -- but if you're on the outside of Donegal and it blows up NW, you can usually nip around the bottom end and fish from Donegal to Mitchell Bay. In a 17' boat, I'd actually be more concerned about getting caught by NW over at Bere Pt and having to come back around the top end of Malcolm -- it can go from calm to 3-4-5' breaking crap in half an hour. So if you go that far from McNeill, keep a good eye on the weather and be ready to bolt for the inside of Malcolm.

The Blackfish Sound side of the Plumpers and Hanson is fairly protected and fishy - and its a short run to Telegraph Cove and the Killer Whale Cafe - just watch the area between Hanson and Telegraph for some nasty standing wave patches on the wrong tide/wind combinations - changing where you cross makes a huge difference, as my wife and I proved a few times in an open 16' boat!

Its a great area, and we've loved it for 30 years.
is there much current between plumber islands and donegal? I was hoping to spend most my time from lizard to mitchell bay. Sunday looks like its blowing a decent southern wind

is there much current between plumber islands and donegal? I was hoping to spend most my time from lizard to mitchell bay. Sunday looks like its blowing a decent southern wind
naw, usually pretty good - just run in tighter to Malcolm along the kelp beds. Just note the beds extend quite far out SE of the head, but not the end of the world.

naw, usually pretty good - just run in tighter to Malcolm along the kelp beds. Just note the beds extend quite far out SE of the head, but not the end of the world.
Except for the tide rip between donegal and Stubbs island. I’ve slipped too far down and there’s no way to troll out of it.

Well springs are getting very elusive these days, haven't seen one for 3 days but good before that while my nephews were hereIMG_20220902_193841.jpg
Still plenty of coho around, alot really. Let 9 go today including 2 that I think we're pushing 14#. Just a couple more days fishing then time to pack up for the season, it's been good and not a single problem with the boat . Already making new plans for next season hopefully a couple side trips to the west side.

Hit the slack on the ebb today for some halibut. Got 2 and knocked a nice one off with the gaff. Pretty much have given up on chinook until next year

Well springs are getting very elusive these days, haven't seen one for 3 days but good before that while my nephews were hereView attachment 84654
Still plenty of coho around, alot really. Let 9 go today including 2 that I think we're pushing 14#. Just a couple more days fishing then time to pack up for the season, it's been good and not a single problem with the boat . Already making new plans for next season hopefully a couple side trips to the west side.

I am going back for a 10 day family cruise 'n fish from Sept 15-25 - we usually spend most of our time near Fife and Wells, but we get around. Any advice on spots you'd try if you were still there?

I'll be home in the heat of the Okanagan by then but that Mainland side is usually productive that time of Sept from what I hear. Good luck on your cruise.

I'll be home in the heat of the Okanagan by then but that Mainland side is usually productive that time of Sept from what I hear. Good luck on your cruise.
Hi Ed, sorry we'll miss you--will probably be back up either on 2nd or last weekend of Sept to check out the new digs and do some winterizing. I like the side trip plans for next year--I'd like to maybe do one up to Rivers Inlet next year, teach the kids the lost art of cut plugging.

Hi Ed, sorry we'll miss you--will probably be back up either on 2nd or last weekend of Sept to check out the new digs and do some winterizing. I like the side trip plans for next year--I'd like to maybe do one up to Rivers Inlet next year, teach the kids the lost art of cut plugging.
I thought you were coming this past long weekend I could have given you a hand. Shoot me a message if you need any advice or have any questions. Have a good winter and we'll look forward to next season

Had a report from a local Sointula friend that large [legal[ coho are being caught in Cramer Pass, below Echo Bay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back