2022 Haida Gwaii Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was chattting with my nephew who's guiding at QCL and he said fishing is very slow with a lot of wind. Only 1 tyee for the lodge so far

Brian Burke caught a 56 pound Chinook at Langara today. Beautiful silver fish

View attachment 82669
Paul - the guide is fantastic and has guided for years. Just back from Langara - I missed the larger run by a few weeks.
A lot of bait still around. High 20's springs are still around with a lot of work. Coho are hit and miss - some larger winds in the
past week made for lumpy waters.

Just thought I would put a little post guide season report from Langara...

Overall it was an alright season up on the rock for most, bait would come and go but as the season progressed, the herring showed up in large numbers and they were what we joked about as "Pink Salmon" sized. Early season, there was a crazy abundance of needlefish inshore which turned on the usual haunts of Seath, Boulder, Bruin and Channel. The average Chinook size, like most of the coast that I have heard about, was generally slightly smaller than past years but it depended on the run of fish that was swimming past at the time. Had the pleasure to be apart of some lifetime memories for myself and glad to have been apart of some guests dream fish and memories. Thats what it's is all about, being apart of a memory for someone who may not ever get a chance to fish the amazing waters of Haida Gwaii and Langara. Sea Lions for me personally weren't too bad, however, I run my program of that if I get goon'd and the mammal is still active in the area, I make a move. I just don't have it in me to continuously feed them lol. Next year I have a goal to hopefully try the old school method of mooching live herring and do it like they did before! No idea how it will work but could be fun for an evening night fish solo, just drifting in the tide! Enjoyable season for sure and looking forward to next year!

Just thought I would put a little post guide season report from Langara...

Overall it was an alright season up on the rock for most, bait would come and go but as the season progressed, the herring showed up in large numbers and they were what we joked about as "Pink Salmon" sized. Early season, there was a crazy abundance of needlefish inshore which turned on the usual haunts of Seath, Boulder, Bruin and Channel. The average Chinook size, like most of the coast that I have heard about, was generally slightly smaller than past years but it depended on the run of fish that was swimming past at the time. Had the pleasure to be apart of some lifetime memories for myself and glad to have been apart of some guests dream fish and memories. Thats what it's is all about, being apart of a memory for someone who may not ever get a chance to fish the amazing waters of Haida Gwaii and Langara. Sea Lions for me personally weren't too bad, however, I run my program of that if I get goon'd and the mammal is still active in the area, I make a move. I just don't have it in me to continuously feed them lol. Next year I have a goal to hopefully try the old school method of mooching live herring and do it like they did before! No idea how it will work but could be fun for an evening night fish solo, just drifting in the tide! Enjoyable season for sure and looking forward to next year!
When I ran CQA 40 miles below Langara at Hippa we exclusively mooching whole herring. Works absolutely awesome and I would put it against trolling anyday. We used frozen herring and a 4oz sliding weight find some bait drop it thru and almost always hook up. Don't be in a hurry to set the hook because feeling that big fish chew on the herring first is the best

When I ran CQA 40 miles below Langara at Hippa we exclusively mooching whole herring. Works absolutely awesome and I would put it against trolling anyday. We used frozen herring and a 4oz sliding weight find some bait drop it thru and almost always hook up. Don't be in a hurry to set the hook because feeling that big fish chew on the herring first is the best
I can't wait to give it a try, what kind of rigging for hooks would you use?

Just a 2 hook mooching rig with a slido and a 4 or 6 Oz weight depending on weather. Find the bait put the reel in free spool and control the drop. You'll feel the take and feed him line and when he starts running just a small hook set and hang on

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back