2021 Nootka Sound/Esperanza Inlet Reports

Any reports on coho towards the end of the season last year? Not much was posted. I was there in July and we caught only one coho. Spring fishing was what I would expect for that time of year..

Is it my imagination or are WCVI Coho travelling & feeding deeper than ever?

I mean below 60' whereas before catching Coho meant dragging lures in the top of the water column like 20'.

Your thoughts?

Is it my imagination or are WCVI Coho travelling & feeding deeper than ever?

I mean below 60' whereas before catching Coho meant dragging lures in the top of the water column like 20'.

Your thoughts?
Water has been very warm last few years--yes they were/are deeper

Any reports on coho towards the end of the season last year? Not much was posted. I was there in July and we caught only one coho. Spring fishing was what I would expect for that time of year..
Picked up a few northerns in August and Sept fishing Esperanza, but not in numbers like previous years. Other locals had the same experience, it seemed.

2020 was a very poor year for coho in the Esperanza area. Normally we are seeing limits if them regularly from mid June right thru to September. In 2020 they stayed way offshore. Some commercial guys said there were lots 50 miles out, but almost nothing during the summer out at the highway all the way into Esperanza inlet. At our lodge we might have had 30 in total from June until mid August. A normal year that's a day or two worth of coho The local ones started showing up the last half of August, and coho fishing was decent in the inlet thru September. We are allowed in area 25 to keep both wild and hatchery coho, so the low catches were not due to few hatchery fish.

Hopefully, 2021 is a better coho year!

Would anyone be kind enough to post or send me coordinates for guiter and whales tale?

I usually fish Nootka and the area outside of Nootka. I am going to make an effort to learn Esperenza over the next couple of years.

Hopefully, 2021 is a better coho year!

Would anyone be kind enough to post or send me coordinates for guiter and whales tale?

I usually fish Nootka and the area outside of Nootka. I am going to make an effort to learn Esperenza over the next couple of years.

I don't have access to the coordinates right now, here is a picture of them highlighted in yellow. If you are looking for a spot to explore Esperanza our lodge is an ideal spot, located in Port Eliza inlet, right near the mouth of Esperanza inlet, a short distance to the fishing grounds (highlighted in red in the image) . We do bring your own boat (BYOB) packages as well as fully guided.

Whales tail Guitar and Lodge.png

Here’s a map with some coordinates.

Attachments

• 7A2171BE-7D22-459E-8693-8C5C9B9FF3B7.png
    7A2171BE-7D22-459E-8693-8C5C9B9FF3B7.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 443
Is it worth salmon fishing at the end of the month? Got a new boat and I gotta try it out. Kinda going stir crazy. Was thinking of heading out for a week. Prawning I’m thinking should be good. I notice the ling fishing is currently closed. Any idea when it opens?

Back