Were you fishing out deep or close to the bottom?
Figured the best way to check on the boat was to go fishing. Went out yesterday for couple hours with my son. Beautiful day. Very calm. Surprisingly quite a few boats out off the fingers and neck point. Total skunk for us. No bits, no nothing.
But the boat run great.
View attachment 62096View attachment 62097
good spot to try is off neck point try off the bottom there

I was in 200-300'. I talked to a guy at the dock that was out in deep water (700') and he said he was at 200' on the rigger and got a few keepers, never saw the fish though... He was fishing with plugs.
I looked at the one plug in my tackle box and debated trying it out. Maybe I should have. Been a very long time since it got wet.
And should try fishing deeper on the riggers. I was at 140-175. Just need to stop being lazy.

Anyone been out lately and had success?
Went out yesterday for 2hrs. Nothing to show for. Quite a few boats out.

Hopefully will get out soon again. At some point a blind squirrel finds a nut.

Anyone tried thrasher or entrance recently? Thinking about scooting across tomorrow and checking it out. In the past(pre dog shutting us down) I’ve always found mid April to be lights out but hoping to find some before potential closure.

Anyone tried thrasher or entrance recently? Thinking about scooting across tomorrow and checking it out. In the past(pre dog shutting us down) I’ve always found mid April to be lights out but hoping to find some before potential closure.
The last few years the fish haven't showed up in any numbers before the closure unfortunately. I don't have any recent Intel because tomorrow will somehow be our first day out since Christmas time... We will be back at the Grande looking for the schools of feeders that were all around 50cm before the new year. Hopefully there's a few keepers around.

We hit the Grande yesterday morning. Went 6 for 6 on just unders scrapping the bottom, so we decided to make our way to thrasher. Fished the 600' line for about an hour and went 3 For 3 on even a smaller grade of fish so we packed it in. Maybe some fish will start coming this way soon. Going to try and get out a couple more times before the potential closure. We did manage to bring home 105 prawns and had to toss as many berried ones back. If your out prawning check the closures... I seen lots of traps in closed zones.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210313-202020.jpg
    Screenshot_20210313-202020.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 160
We hit the Grande yesterday morning. Went 6 for 6 on just unders scrapping the bottom, so we decided to make our way to thrasher. Fished the 600' line for about an hour and went 3 For 3 on even a smaller grade of fish so we packed it in. Maybe some fish will start coming this way soon. Going to try and get out a couple more times before the potential closure. We did manage to bring home 105 prawns and had to toss as many berried ones back. If your out prawning check the closures... I seen lots of traps in closed zones.
Ditto on friday. Was a beauty day, but nonstop little ones.

Out last night from 630pm until dark. Marked lots of fish and bait 150'-200' around snake, NW and SE of five fingers and hudson rocks. Only jigging gear aboard and didn't hook up. Water looked pretty brown. Froze my bag off. Hopefully get out again before April 1.

Put a solid effort in for a keeper on the last day and got a 63 cm off Entrance.
Fished the Grande for a bit first and dropped a prawn trap off the flat tops for 4 hour soak. When I went to retrieve the trap there was a boat so close to my bouy I thought he was tampering with my gear. Turns out he was pulling his own gear after dropping it less than 50’ from mine. I was the only one there when I dropped it so I can’t really understand why his had to be on top of mine?

Put a solid effort in for a keeper on the last day and got a 63 cm off Entrance.
Fished the Grande for a bit first and dropped a prawn trap off the flat tops for 4 hour soak. When I went to retrieve the trap there was a boat so close to my bouy I thought he was tampering with my gear. Turns out he was pulling his own gear after dropping it less than 50’ from mine. I was the only one there when I dropped it so I can’t really understand why his had to be on top of mine?
how did you do prawning?

Back