2015 Nanaimo Reports

We fished Entrance on New Years Day and got everything but Salmon. Huge Lings and an enormous Dogfish that was well over 3 1/2 feet long. All while trolling fast. Apart from that, it was a beautiful day on the water.

Trolled green can too neck point around the fingers last weekend no luck tried various types of bait and lures loads of feed but no salmon. Pod of orcas was in the area and fun to watch

Got out 3 afternoons over the past week and a half. Fished outside the fingers and the milk run to neck point. Depths from 90'-190'. Thrown all colors of spoons and hootchies, even chovies for a spell but not a sniff. Figured I'd see more of you guys out there. **** on a plate calm. Next outing will be plugs and apexes'. Might as well get the whole box wet.

Go south....ie Gabriola...on fire...spoons only behind flashers...saw a smokin' photo report from yesterday.

Thanks guys. Been nice just to be on the water but a spring or two would be sweet. Chevy, by cannery do you mean the green can bouy?

no its the stretch of water between Tinson point/Pilot bay and entrance island, just inside the duke pt ferry lane, theres and old grey cannery building on the beach in there. lots of structure in closer to the beach there watch the sounder, theres a couple gulleys you can troll in and out of that hold some bait and fish from time to time.

Beauty day out there today. Fished brickyard then the milk run and outside the fingers. Threw the box at em including 602 plugs and kwik fish. 200' and up. Nada. Killer whale show off the fingers capped the day!

What’s the fishing like in March typically? Is it worth putting the boat in the water for the month? Or just weekend it? January was crap! washed every hook i had!

Hi guys, had a report yesterday of a Vancouver party boat catching rockfish off Entrance. If you guys see this happening, call ORR 1-800-465-4336. Put it in your phone. C&P documents all of the calls and if they can respond they will. No guarantees obviously but reporting it gives the officers a much greater chance of doing something about it. K numbers, C numbers, vessel name, description, pictures, etc... all help. Not reporting it doesn't help.

Cheers, gc

I was hoping to go prawning outside of nanaimo this weekend, am looking at the DFO site and it appears to be closed in most of the nearby areas. Can someone confirm that the areas are closed and when they reopen?

Prawning

I was hoping to go prawning outside of nanaimo this weekend, am looking at the DFO site and it appears to be closed in most of the nearby areas. Can someone confirm that the areas are closed and when they reopen?

Go to the DFO Pacific website under Prawn closures all the info is there. Area 17-18 is open thats west of a line from Neck Point to Winchelsea everything else opens up April !st. You can have the DFO e mail you all notices for a specific area.

Porlier questions should go in the gulf islands section. I'll be out there this weekend though I hope. I'll let you know then.

Hello, everyone.
How does one find out when the herring are in?
I would love to shore cast for them, or, take the boat out and jig a bunch.
Have always wanted to cut plug, bought a cutting jig today, now need the herring!
Thank you.

Got out this morning for a few hours around high tide. Brickyard to fingers. Nada. Again.

Back