2 different motor problems

morganic

Hey guys. Up in bamfield getting the season started but have encountered problems with 2 separate motors. Been searching the Google but get hundreds of threads most not pertaining to my issues.
1st motor is my 15hp 4st. Honda kicker which is most important cuz I need to fish.
Recently seviced by breakers and was running like a top as I fished last night and this morning no problem. Picked gear up from the wall and stayed on the kicker down the inlet to McKay Bay gas bar. Kicker has its own tank so filled that as well as the main tank. Have not been able to start since. Thought maybe I had flooded it so let it sit a few hours but still no start. Could I have possibly fouled the plugs. Will drain carb in morning and pump fresh fuel and see what happens.
2nd motor is a 25 hp mercury 2st
Starts up fine and runs great until trying to get up on plain and going. Revs right up but boggs down and gets no acceleration. Thinking it could be the high idle jet in the carb and I think i will remove and give a thorough cleaning.
I have fu#$Ed around with my Honda and removed and cleaned carb before but just seems strange it started right up and now nothing.
Anyway I've got so much useful info from the brains on this site I thought I'd throw this up and see if maybe there's something I'm missing or other things I should be looking at.
Thanks in advance for any advice.
Mo

I'd say fuel restriction somewhere but you say seperate tanks. On to maybe an electrical issue... I'd maybe look at electrical connections. If it was absolutely water you put in your fuel tanks there should have been enough fuel in the float bowl/fuel line to get a start and run a couple minutes. If starter circuit is getting power to crank it certainly doesn't mean ignition circuit/run circuit is getting power to run. Could be the kill switch/overboard cutout wiring. Not sure how your motors/boat is set up though. As far as your main, might be the main jet. My experience is with manual chokes which help if you choke it to make it run better, not a ton of experience with more modern outboards but still learning.

For the Honda, when it was running fine - was that on internal or external tank? First step would be to unplug remote tank and try internal only. Second step would be to siphon out the internal tank and run on external only. Before you do anything on the Honda, Stand back an look to make sure kill switch or something similar isn't out of place.

Mercury definitely sound like gummed up high idle jet. Alternatively - does it have an in-line fuel filter under the cowl? Could be plugged. Engines with a partially plugged fuel filter will still run at idle, but die when fuel demand increases.

edit: I'm assuming both engines are pull-start and battery/starter is not an issue.

Last edited:
Thanks. They are both pull start.
I'm sure the mercury on our skiff is gummed up but will be checking for filter.
The honda has only ever run on an external tank.
320ltr in the main tank. Won't be draining that. Gonna tear into both this afternoon. Hopefully fix for the evening bite.

Sorry, I misunderstood (I was thinking of one of those tiny internal tanks inside the cowl on some small kicker - not applicable on a 15hp). Presumably you have another main engine running off the internal tank that works ok? Sometimes the tiny lift pumps in small outboards have trouble pumping up from the internal tank - especially if the water separator/filter is a bit restrictive - but it should at least fire for a minute when the ball is pumped up.

I'd troubleshoot running off the small external tank and check to make sure nothing is clogged/kinked. Check for old fuel lines that might be cracked an letting in air. Weird if it was working perfectly prior to fueling, and was stone dead after...

Thanks guys. Got the Honda going. Pulled plugs and checked all fuel lines. Think it may have been my connection to the motor from my external tank but got it to fire right up and was flawless on my evening fish. messed with the merc for a bit with carb cleaner but didn't solve problem. Will remove tomorrow and give a thorough cleaning which I'm sure will solve issue. thanks again guys. Always good advice and solid help on this site. Capt. Mo

When you pull the plugs after trying to start are they wet or dry?
If they are wet then start chasing ignition issues, if they are dry then start chasing fuel issues.
Neither of these are 100% accurate tests but probably point you in the right direction 99% of the time.

Back