1996 Yamaha 9.9

I just helped a friend disassemble his 9.9 HT Yamaha. He was having some starting issues, and it was time to do a water pump. Wow what a corroded mess. I think the only salvageable parts are the powerhead. Does anyone need a power head for theirs or has everything except a toasted powerhead? Quite amazed at the amount of corrosion we saw, didn't think a '96 would be that bad. Looks like he will be needing a new kicker, any one know of any good deals out there? What are the best kickers out there?
Alan

I helped a buddy do his 8hp honda, mid 90's vintage. He lived on the ocean (float home), and did zero maintenance. That was a corroded mess aswell. So I think if you look after it, or if it was looked after, either of the main companies (merc, honda , yamm, suz) are good. Everyone will have their preference or brand loyalty. But maintenance and flushing after use will take them a long way.
Just my 2 cents....
Personally, I like the honda, but it's what I run and it's been good to me.

I agree maintenance is key, bolts that have had never seize or aviation form a gasket applied within the year will not seize up, but..... there was a significant amount of Yamaha that just corroded away and had nothing to do with flushing the engine I would say. I did notice an anode on the lower leg which was not in bad shape, I wonder if there was one missing elsewhere which may have contributed to the poor condition?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a Yamaha T9.9 4 stroke. It is a 1995. The power head stopped working one day, and has not run since. would you be interested in it?
I put another power head on it and wore that out, then got another kicker, a 2005 and have not needed anything else.
It would need a water pump for sure and maybe some leg oil.

Back