16' Lund Kicker

Redders

Picked up a 16' Lund tinny recently - it has a 35hp Johnson 2 Stroke on the back - anyone any idea of how big of a kicker I could mount on the back with it? Was thinking 6-8hp range.
Thanks!

6hp should be more than enough. If you're planning to use it in fresh water only, I'd suggest you get an electric 80 lbs motor. They're pretty efficient and there's almost zero maintenance required.

Depends what you’re using it for. I also have a Lund SSV 16 with a 25 HP Yammy for trout fishing in fresh water only. (Have another boat for offshore salt water stuff). On my Lund, I have a little 2.5 Yammy for my trolling motor in the lakes. Work’s absolutely perfect. Just finishing a 3 week stay at a cabin on Sheridan Lake in the Interior as we speak. For freshwater use, that little 2.5 is all you need for a kicker. Don’t think it would be much good in the salt though…

Thanks - sorry should have mentioned it's for Saltwater use. Looks like 6 and 8hps are pretty much the same weight with most brands so maybe a 8hp two stroke in that range to keep the weight down?

Back