Be aware: potential scammers on sfbc

brands51

The first time this happened, I didn’t think much of it. But it just happened a second time. I have a post in the buy/sell forum that is listed as “wanted, shimano techniums.”

Twice now, I have had a private message from a new SFBC member, telling me to email them and that they have what I’m after. After emailing back and forth, they reveal that they live in the US in the most recent instance, or the mainland the first time, and will be shipping the item and accepting e-transfer as payment. Both times I suggest paying PayPal - a more scam proof method, and right then and there they stop answering.

Just posting as a heads up as this seems to me like a definite scam. The first time around, the person I was emailing with even provided a generic picture of the rod I was after.

Attachments

• IMG_7283.png
    IMG_7283.png
    244.4 KB · Views: 43
Get one of these messages on every single wanted post I make. Hypothetically one could email them something really obscene from a Proton mail account…

“Wanted” is the key word for scammers. Similar to Facebook when someone is hakkked and they use that word in their post, they are flooded with phone numbers and email addresses of who to use to correct it but they are nefarious of course.

Get one of these messages on every single wanted post I make. Hypothetically one could email them something really obscene from a Proton mail account…

@Alex_c , if you send a PM to the Admin account, or post using the @ symbol in front of Admin, I will receive a notification and can remove the offending account immediately. I check the new registrations daily and it isn't very often that the scam/spam artists get through the software program that Xenforo uses. If they do, I usually catch them, but they are most often registering at night our time, so they PM you and others before their accounts are removed. It's a cat and mouse game, so if you and all members who receive these scam PM's would let me know, it helps nip it in the bud as soon as possible.

Thanks,

Brian

@Alex_c , if you send a PM to the Admin account, or post using the @ symbol in front of Admin, I will receive a notification and can remove the offending account immediately. I check the new registrations daily and it isn't very often that the scam/spam artists get through the software program that Xenforo uses. If they do, I usually catch them, but they are most often registering at night our time, so they PM you and others before their accounts are removed. It's a cat and mouse game, so if you and all members who receive these scam PM's would let me know, it helps nip it in the bud as soon as possible.

Thanks,

Brian
Will do, thanks for the heads up.

Back